Saturday, March 26

Dystopian Book Club

It's the end of the quarter, and the grading has been piling up, meaning I haven't had much time to read books and write reviews lately.  So...I was feeling bad about the lack of content, and was working on planning for next quarter, so I thought I'd share what I'm doing book-wise.  Starting on Monday, I'll be doing a book club class (I have a period of the day to do curriculum extension work), and since I can't get my hands on enough multiple copies of single titles, I decided to focus on a specific genre that students could all read a book from, they would be interested in, and would prompt rich discussions.

So, I thought I'd share my working list of titles I'll be introducing to the class to choose from for our Dystopian Book Club. (no pictures because that would take up too much room, but all titles link to goodreads and are in random order as I could think of them)

THE HUNGER GAMES / CATCHING FIRE / MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins
THE GIVER by Lois Lowry
CANDOR by Pam Bachorz
DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver
DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth
THE MAZE RUNNER / THE SCORCH TRIALS by James Dashner
UGLIES / PRETTIES / SPECIALS / EXTRAS by Scott Westerfeld
MATCHED by Ally Condie
THE GARDENER by S.A. Bodeen
SKINNED by Robin Wasserman
INSIDE OUT by Maria V. Snyder
SHIP BREAKER by Paolo Bacigalupi
THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO by Patrick Ness
THE FOREST OF THE HANDS AND TEETH by Carrie Ryan
LITTLE BROTHER by Cory Doctorow
RASH by Pete Hautman
FEED by M.T. Anderson
INCARCERON / SAPPHIQUE by Catherine Fisher
THE UNIDENTIFIED by Rae Mariz
BLACK HOLE SUN by David Macginnis Gill
ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis
THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX by Mary E. Pearson
EMPTY by Suzanne Weyn
BIRTHMARKED by Caragh M. O'Brien
EPIC by Conor Kostick
THE LINE by Teri Hall
GONE by  Michael Grant
CITY OF EMBER by Jeanne DuPrau
AMONG THE HIDDEN by Margaret Peterson Haddix
ENDER'S GAME by Orson Scott Card
THE DECLARATION by Gemma Malley
MEMENTO NORA by Angie Smibert
UNWIND by Neal Shusterman
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ISLAND by Allegra Goodman
THE LAST BOOK IN THE UNIVERSE by Rodman Philbrick
THE BAR CODE TATTOO by Suzanne Weyn
GIRL IN THE ARENA by Lise Haines
NOMANSLAND by Lesley Hauge
BRAIN JACK by Brian Faulkner
NAUGHTS & CROSSES by Malorie Blackman
THE ROAR by Emma Clayton
SURVIVING ANTARCTICA: Reality TV 2083 by Andrea White
TRASH by Andy Mulligan
ROT & RUIN by Jonathan Maberry

Maybe this will give you some ideas for titles to read if you love dystopian books also. If you can think of any other dystopian genre books that would be good for 8th graders, I'd love to hear your suggestions!

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Here are a few other good Dystopian novels to read:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/17200.Best_YA_Dystopian_Utopian_Apocalyptic_Post_Apocalyptic