Tuesday, January 11

CLOCKWORK ANGEL by Cassandra Clare

Title: CLOCKWORK ANGEL (The Infernal Devices Book One)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry (A division of Simon & Schuster)
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Number of Pages: 479
How I Got It: Bought one and got one free in my box of books at the ALAN Workshop

As I finally read The Mortal Instruments series over the summer, and loved it, I was soooo happy to be invited back into the world of the Shadowhunters who are dedicated to ridding the world of demons that Cassandra Clare has created! Although, this one was a little bit different, taking place 100 years earlier in London, it was so fun to see some of the same names popping up in The Infernal Devices that I had read in the present-day series (especially my favorite warlock, Magnus!).  Cassandra has created a magical world, full of good and evil magic, a world with demons and avengers, and of course a love interest, oh-and add in some steampunk this time. Her writing continues to be engaging and just sets a scene so clearly with wonderful similes and a sense of urgency and danger that runs through the plot lines creating a story world that is hard to put down and not keep reading.

The book starts off with a journey across the ocean for a lone teenage girl in search of her brother, leading to a kidnapping and imprisonment by Downworlders, then a dazzling rescue and discovery of a magical power never known before - and of course that means everyone wants to get to and use Tessa. She's on her own, but is taken in by the Shadowhunters at the London Institute, all of whom are intriguing characters in their own right. Tessa is a strong girl, and she only gets stronger as she learns more about herself and faces more dangers. I really enjoyed reading the book with her as a main character. And of course, what's a Cassandra Clare book without a love entanglement, and this one pits quiet Jem against dashing and mysterious Will; although, honestly, in my mind, I could totally see the attraction for one and the other one didn't strike me as more than a friendship...but that's just me because I know there are plenty of fans out there that feel differently. There is, of course, a shocking ending that leads to a strong desire to read the next book. The only trouble I had with this book is that I'm not the biggest fan of the automaton, clockwork, and steampunk elements, but it was an intriguing, realistic plot point, so I could still enjoy it.  Overall, I didn't like this one as much as The Mortal Instruments, but I did love the new (old?!?) characters I got to enjoy.

4 STARS for CLOCKWORK ANGEL
I'll definitely read the rest of THE INFERNAL DEVICES series! Clockwork Prince will be released in September 2011 and Clockwork Princess will be out for Christmas 2012.

No comments: